Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Making Dreams Reality

[Source]

I just read an article on Elephantjournal.com (which is one of my favorite websites to visit) titled How to Say Screw It & Live Brilliantly, that inspired me to write a post.

I am a dreamer. A big dreamer. Always have been, always will be. I have plans and goals for my life that many people think will never happen; maybe in the movies, but not real life.

Yes, they haven't happened yet, but I have had no doubt that they will, someday, somehow.

I have come to the realization though that there is a problem with the way I have been thinking about these dreams of mine. This whole time I have been waiting for everything to come together; waiting for money to fall in my lap; waiting until my children are older; waiting until I'm not so busy.

I can't just keep waiting for my dreams to come true though. I have to MAKE them happen. I have to be more proactive about what I want. I am not going to learn that new language or instrument if I keep waiting until I have the time to devote to it. I am not going to take my dream trip to Italy (or anywhere else for that matter), unless I actually start saving money and planning a trip. I won't publish a book if I don't start writing. And I won't own a bakery or restaurant if I don't start writing a business plan and looking for funding.

I realize now that, although I am happy to call myself a dreamer, that is all I will ever be if I don't start really living and taking action. I am done waiting around, living a normal, boring life, while drooling over pictures of foreign cities and forgotten places. I always felt so out of place growing up, longing for adventure and wanting more than the simple lives I saw functioning around me. I wanted to learn, and travel, and have great adventures like the ones I read about in my books... Maybe that's why I have always loved Beauty and the Beast so much and could always relate to Belle... I am done longingly waiting for everything to come together, and continually putting my goals and dreams on the backburner, while dealing with "life". From now on my life will be the adventure I have always wanted, no longer settling for second best, and always pushing for the things I deserve, without being afraid of failure and the unknown.

I am doing this for myself, but also for my children. I want them to see me as an example of what life can be like if you pursue your dreams, and don't listen to the naysayers and "realists" who are always there to remind you that you could fail, and to question why you would try something that might not work out. Well, I would much rather try and fail at something extraordinary, that I love, than try and fail at something "safe", out of the fear of "what if".

So I am saying goodbye now to my old normal, everyday life, and hello to the new adventure I am beginning.

Wish me luck.

~Hannah ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment